Thursday 7 July 2011

Secret Interests

I watched the new trailer today for Secret World, an MMORPG from Funcom set in the modern world, which seems a bit Lovecraftian / modern horror / dark future to me.  It looks like a lot of fun and I am very much looking forward to pumping some hours into this.  There is also endless (well, a lot at any rate) room for expansions and new areas to develop of visit and that's great too.  There are more snippets on You Tube of course.

It raised for me a couple of things - the importance of 'the catch' - I am not a big fan of games with guns but like conspiracy stuff and this game instantly had me hooked.


It also addressed something that I have a little bug bear about which is the '2-faction game' - it seems to me that when most games launch they have two factions and never the twain shall meet.  I know that it's often addressed later in expansions (like the City of Heroes expansion Going Rogue) or DLC but I rather like that from the get-go this has three factions.  I *hope* that there's interaction between them as well (that isn't just beating them up!) but we will see.

Obviously three factions means more development work (or I suppose less 'complete' factions) but even so the choice appeals to me.  Now, which one to choose in order that I might be able to sign up for the beta (you get to pick on the website after a test (here) which leads you to a sign up form.  Choices choices choices...

1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled on this article:

    http://www.destructoid.com/preview-the-secret-world-205644.phtml

    which gives some game play detail - looks exciting :)

    ReplyDelete